Actions and Detail Panel
Close Encounters Photo Workshop
Sun 20 November 2016, 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM NZDT
Close Encounters Photography Workshop
* OLNY 1 PLACE LEFT *
Yes, it's back, the Close Encounters photography workshop at Hamilton Zoo. This unique photography workshop is aimed at helping you improve your animal photography by getting up close to some amazing animals. There will be three encounters on this photography workshop throughout the day.
- The Lemurs- Here you will get to go inside there enclosure where they will come up close (if they’re in the mood) giving you some great opportunities to capture some great images.
- The Southern White Rhino – No you won’t be going in their enclosure but you will be in a great position, close to the fence, where you can photograph them looking up from a low angle. I have done this several times and you really do get a sense of their magnificence. There is nothing quite like looking up at a Rhino and taking its photo.
- The Kunekune Pigs – Pigs I here you say! Yes and its another great opportunity to get up close to another animal in its enclose giving you the chance to finesse you photographic skills.
Three Encounters – As already mentioned you’ll have the opportunity to get up close and photograph, the lemurs, rhino and kunekune pigs, so don’t wear your best cloths as you will be rolling around in the dirt like a real wildlife photographer trying to capture that perfect image. As the animal’s welfare is paramount, so each encounter will last around 15 - 20 minutes, so as to ensure we don’t cause any unnecessary stress. Happy relaxed animals are also easier to photograph.
Tuition – Between the encounters we’ll be in the education room where I will be giving instruction on how to capture great animal images.
The Weather – Workshops are not cancelled if it’s raining.
The workshop will teach you how to get the best animal portraits – from full body shots to head shots and even close up abstract shots, especially for photographing the Rhino.
Even animals in captivity can be unpredictable so it’s important to be able to adapt to the situation. Trevor will go over this with you in the classroom as well as how to react and behave around the animals so everyone, including the animals, enjoys the experience.
Things that we’ll cover through the day will include:
- Understanding Composition.
- Aperture and depth of field in relation to subject distance.
- Importance of correct shutter speed.
- Angle of view – how to create engaging images.
Visit our website for the full itinery and info re. equipment etc. (opens in a new tab)
Cost: $295.00 per person.
(Discounted price for PhotoHub Members: $250.00 per person.)
Numbers are really limited (max of 6) to give you individualised tuition and plenty of time and space to photograph the animals during the Close Encounters, so please check availability on our website by completing our booking form before purchasing - thank you.