Actions and Detail Panel
Discover New Zealand's Underwater World
Sun 6 November 2016, 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM NZDT
Experience stunning underwater footage and fascinating tales from marine experts passionate about New Zealand's sea life and our unique Marine Reserves.
- Steve Hathaway - world renowned underwater videographer, will present captivating stories of coming face to face with the marine animals we’re all curious about. Steve’s footage has appeared on BBC, Discovery TV, National Geographic and TVNZ.
- Dr Roger Grace - one of New Zealand’s great underwater photographers. He is a well-known scientist and has published many reports on the state of our marine environment. Roger has worked as a photographer for Greenpeace and has worked tirelessly in support of marine conservation in New Zealand for decades.
- Professor Mark Orams - Torbay local and respected yachtsman, who has been involved in round the world ocean races and the America’s Cup. Mark has been involved in expeditions to Antarctica, the sub-Antarctic islands, the Amazon and remote islands in the South Pacific. He is a sought after public speaker and a strong advocate for marine conservation.
- Raewyn Peart – Author and Environment Defence Society Policy Director, Raewyn Peart’s latest book is The Story of the Gulf. For the past decade Raewyn’s work has focused on landscape protection, coastal development and marine management in New Zealand. Raewyn is a keen sailor, snorkeller, snowboarder and photographer.
- Darren Shields - Torbay resident, 6 times NZ spearfishing champion and the owner of New Zealand’s biggest wetsuit and spearfishing equipment retailer - Wettie. Darren has dived many of the worlds top spearfishing spots and stars on TV 1’s ‘Fishy Business'. Darren is an advocate for marine reserves and sustainable fishing.
Entry by donation & silent auctions will be held throughout the event
Auction prizes Include:
- Blake: Leader - Signed copy on this wonderful book on leadership by author Mark Orams
- Sir Peter Blake's Red Socks!
- The Ocean is Alive, The Poor Knights Wonderland and Humpback Whales of the Southwest Pacific signed by Glenn Edney, Ocean Ecologist, Writer and Photographer
- Two Wettie 2mm surf tops - Great multi purpose top - Suitable for numerous watersports from jetskiing, boating, surfing to kayaking & swimming. Sponsored by www.wettie.co.nz
- Dreamers of the Day: a history of Auckland's Regional Parks. A beautifully bound book by Graeme Murdoch
- 'The Story of the Gulf', signed copy by EDS Policy Director, Raewyn Peart
- Gift Hampers with lots of goodies
Tickets are limited to 120 seats.
All proceeds of the fundraising will go to the Long Bay-Okura Great Park Society to help protect the Long Bay-Okura Marine Reserve.
If you are unable to attend, you are welcome to show your support for protecting the Long Bay-Okura Marine Reserve via https://givealittle.co.nz/org/savelongbayokuracoastline
* Feature photo by Eli Martinez of Steve Hathaway filming an Orca