Actions and Detail Panel
Masterclass for Leaders
Mon, 17/07/2017, 9:00 AM – Tue, 18/07/2017, 5:00 PM NZST
In this Masterclass for Leaders, five times internationally renowned CEO Bruce Cotterill shares his lessons in a way that can best be described as a crash course in what you really need to know about leadership, management AND business. He "cuts through the clutter" to help you be an effective and engaging leader in a fast paced and unpredictable world.
This unique programme is based on Bruce’s own experiences in the real world as a passionate leader of change. Having specialised as a transformation CEO leading change and progress in times of uncertainty and disruption, Bruce’s lessons are borne out of actual experiences. As Bruce says, the programme only includes “the stuff that works” ; and teaches leaders and managers to focus on the simple things.
“Most businesses are too busy complicating things and supporting that complication with bureaucracy. Simple stuff works because it’s easy to understand, and most importantly, easy to communicate”.
Bruce's messages and tools are people centric, concise, simple, and communicated in a way that everyone can understand and use.
Did you know that as you read this – 85% of people are turning up to work each day not clear on what the organisation is trying to achieve, or their role in helping to achieve it.
Good leaders change lives. Good leaders give your people purpose, create a healthier workplace, and as a result - happier customers and a stronger, more resilient business. In other words, good leaders are the key to ensuring better business outcomes, and improved experiences for your customers and your people.
About Bruce Cotterill
Bruce is a results driven transformation leader, and over the past 30 years he has successfully led organisations and teams through periods of change, turmoil, and disruption. His experience includes leading dramatic business turnarounds at companies such as real estate giant Colliers, Kerry Packer’s ACP Media & sports and apparel company Canterbury International.
And Bruce is the first to admit that these successes are the result of connecting with employees and customers, keeping things simple; and doing the basics well. It doesn't matter what size team or business you lead, these principles apply to everyone.
Using these principles, as both an Executive and an Advisor to business, Bruce:
- Started his own business at the age of 23, which he successfully grew and sold
- Took a single product from losing $600,000 per year to a $2.2m profit in just six months
- Led a $110m profit turnaround at an international telecommunications company over just nine months
- Oversaw the largest debt restructure in NZ corporate history - $1.8 billion at Yellow Pages Group
- Has led consultancy projects across industries as diverse as Financial Services, Information Technology, Franchising, Banking, Telecommunications, Media, Retail and Government
- Has saved numerous businesses and 1000's of jobs in the course of his career
- Has, in addition to his executive and advisory roles, operated in senior governance roles across a range of organisations, including as Chairman, Noel Leeming Group, MOVE Logistics, and Swimming New Zealand
Relevant to you if
This Masterclass is most relevant to you if you're:
- new to management, OR
- a branch manager, OR
- an owner of a small to medium sized business, OR
- any manager who is either stressed out, or struggling to engage your team
Ultimately this Masterclass is suitable for you if you have responsibility for leading a group of people in a changing or unpredictable environment? This includes mid sized family businesses, large corporates, not for profits, government organisations, educational institutions and sporting organisations are all desperate for people with better leadership skills. In general management, sales leadership, business development, client services, people management, finance and administration there is a need for more leaders and better leaders.
Do you need help with the following:
- implementing proven actions which improve profitability
- getting strategic planning right and executing with success
- being clear about what you are trying to achieve
- keeping it simple
- communicating with your people and your customers
- setting clear goals for the organisation and getting those messages through to the people who are interacting with your customers
- effectively managing your people
- getting the most productivity out of your day
- identifying succession options and implementing them
- understanding your customers (and getting them to understand you)
- reducing stress, overwhelm and firefighting
The programme uses storytelling and interactivity to facilitate learning, with guest appearances from engaging and insightful guest speakers, guaranteed to inspire and educate.
Using his 7 Principles of Profit as a base, Bruce will focus on the following:
- Dealing with Change
- The opportunity offered by change
- Why you have to be 20% better every year, just to maintain your existing position
- Watching expectations change and how to respond
- The 80 / 20 rule – how to evaluate what’s important
- The competitor we can’t see
- The role of the leader
- Why organisations fail and what to do about it
- My Leadership Rocks - Clarity / Communication / Consistency / Commitment / Care
- Getting your people to work, ready to work
- The importance of purpose, culture and values
- Managing the Millennials
- ‘Smartcuts’ to developing your Business Plans
- Executing the plan through Project Plans
- Making meetings work
- How to lead and prepare a presentation
- Why training fails, and what to do about it
- Finance and the Back Office
- What to look out for now
- What you need to know about monthly accounts
- Why revenue is great but costs can kill you
- Managing relationships with bankers and other stakeholders
- The budget process
- Leading your unsung heroes in the back office
- Aligning incentives to performance
- Product &/or Services
- Why every business is a service business
- Five things to consider in presenting your product to the market
- Knowing your customer (internal or external)
- Remembering who’s selling you
- How to ensure that you’re meeting everyone’s needs
- Does today's product suit tomorrow’s customer need
- Sales & Marketing
- Do your people understand what they’re selling?
- How to grow your business
- How to make first impressions count
- Who are your most important customers?
- Covering your marketplace effectively
- Seven steps to successful sales management
- Getting the right people doing the right things right
- Why it’s important to become a good employer
- The 11 R-words that make you a better people manager
- How to take a simple approach to performance reviews that means more to your people and benefits your business
- Becoming the Visible, Accessible leader they all want
- Why you should care about your people and 4 simple steps to get you started
- 8 things that customers want
- Recognising that great customer service is a revenue opportunity not a cost
- How many customers do we really need?
- How to run your own customer experience improvement programme
- How to recognise what’s important to your customer
- Breaking the mould
… And much more including case studies, stories and over 500 questions to help you to improve your business.
As a result of this programme you will learn to
- Have improved capability and confidence to become a better leader
- Understand the role of the leader and how to better interact with your team
- Put the 7 Principles of profit to work in your business
- Develop a clear and engaging set of aspirations for your team
- Implement business plans and meaningful project activity to enable successful execution of your strategy
- Enable your people to share your enthusiasm to create an outstanding customer experience
- Access new tips and tools that you need to ensure that everybody on your team knows why they’re there and what they’re there to do
- Use simple tools to keep your various initiatives uppermost in everyone’s mind and on track to deliver
- Develop your own personal plan to become the leader you want to be over the next 90 days, and identify a buddy to help you get there.
… and finally, we would like to invite you to participate in our ongoing support programmes to help you use what you’ve learnt.
The benefits of learning together
Yes, it's true - there are significant advantages to many of your managers attending Bruce Cotterill’s Leadership Masterclass together. You and your colleagues will leave the Masterclass on the same page, talking the same language, able to support each other, compare notes, keep the conversation alive, and hold each other accountable.
To make your collaboration more accessible, we have a group booking option for 10 or more people. And remember, as much as a team benefits from attending together, you and your colleagues will also gain from the diversity and experience of others in the room.
Your leadership project
You have the option to continue Your Leadership Project to become a better leader with Bruce Cotterill’s weekly video based learning programme, comprising:
- A weekly video – just 5 or 6 minutes in length – discussing a leadership or management topic - featuring Bruce Cotterill and sent to your inbox every Sunday in time for your weekly planning
- Your video will be accompanied by a one pager of notes to support your learning process
- A monthly Q&A webinar where you will be invited to ask questions and Bruce and his team will answer them online
In addition we will send you occasional bonus videos, and new tools and tips as we continue our learning process.
NZTE Capability Development Voucher Scheme
You may be eligible for up to a 50% subsidy as this masterclass has qualified for the NZTE Capability Development Voucher Scheme. Please enter your voucher details when making your booking. We will verify your voucher with the Issuing Regional Partner before confirming your place on the course.
For more information on the NZTE Capability Development Voucher scheme or to find your local Regional Business Partner go to: http://www.nzte.govt.nz/en/how-nzte-can-help/programmes-and-services/regional-business-partners/
If you'd like to learn more about other services such as:
- Bruce’s Keynote conference presentations;
- Our "Leading Millennials” programme;
- Our popular "30 under 30" workshops designed to get your Millennials more engaged with the goals of the organisation;
- Facilitation of strategic planning;
- Other speaking, workshop and consulting projects,
Please contact Lisa McCarthy on 027 895 7403.
“In 2012 I asked 50 people in leadership roles across a range of organisations the following question: ‘If you could do one thing to improve the performance of your business,what would it be?’ Their answers highlighted a broad spectrum of management challenges. However 42% of them said:‘Become a better leader.’