Old St Paul's

Built in 1866, Old St Paul's was the parish church of Thorndon and the Anglican cathedral of Wellington until 1964. Designed by architect and parish priest Reverend Frederick Thatcher on what was originally the site of Pipitea Pa, a Maori settlement on Wellington's waterfront, Old St Paul's is built entirely from native timbers. It is one of the world's finest examples of 19th century Gothic revival architecture.

Saved by the efforts of the public in the 1960s, Old St Paul's is cared for by Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga and now serves as a non-denominational heritage property available for venue hire and special events.