Actions and Detail Panel
Advanced Building Controls Administration - Wellington 2017
Wed 12 July 2017, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM NZST
Beyond the Rules
This workshop is for those wanting to advance their knowledge, skills and practice in building controls administration. This is a professional development opportunity for staff working in Councils in building controls admin support and customer services
In this workshop, we will test your skills in:
- Problem solving
- Communicating difficult compliance messages
- Interpreting a complex section of the Building Act into customer speak
- Creating processes and systems in your home Council / BCA
Sections of the Act we will focus on:
- Legal vetting of applications: building across boundaries New Pool Rules
- Fire Reports: what they contain and how to challenge and engineer or author on what they have submitted
- Evidence required for Certificates of Acceptance
- Upgrades to Exciting Public
- Certificates for Public Use
- Earthquake Prone Building policy and implementation
As part of this workshop you will be given a compliance problem to solve.
- You will prepare a report for your Regulatory or Customer Services Manager on a change to a process that needs
- You will review your own Council’s website
- And decide what systems and processes you need to put in place for following up
You will leave topped up, motivated and inspired to head back into the frontline and work your magic.
Your expert facilitator will be: Rosemary (Rosie) Killip
Rosemary is an international speaker, author and training practitioner specialising in building law. She is a sought after speaker for building conferences and a regular commentator on building compliance in New Zealand.
With substantial insider knowledge of how councils review and interpret the Building Act rules, she brings practical insights and wisdom from over 20 years of working alongside building compliance staff, Council staff, building inspectors and building owners.
This experience enables her to help you help your customers understand the complex world of building controls. More than two decades of translation and two Building Acts mean that Rosie has a wealth of knowledge to share. As an educator, she also has a passion for helping others learn and will teach you some cool tips for making training stick.